Sunday, December 22, 2013

Parmesan Tilapia

{This post is prior to my gluten-free days. Please use caution when following this recipe if you must eat gluten-free. Always check individual ingredients to ensure they're gluten-free before consuming.}

Doesn't this picture of Parmesan Tilapia look scrumptious? I know, I wish you could smell it through your screen. While it was cooking, the Italian spices and parmesan scents escaped the oven and wafted through the whole house. We could barely wait for the tilapia to come out of the oven. Thankfully, it tasted as good or better than it smelled. 

This is so quick and easy that you can just whip it up this week while you're busy wrapping presents.

Just make sure to crust the fish... not the presents. 

Tilapia is the only fish that Kyle will eat. He doesn't like fish. Well he didn't, until he went to his bachelor party in Gulf Shores and went crazy. He ate pecan-crusted tilapia and mahi-mahi tacos at Lulu's. When he told me, my exact words were, "Who are you?!" Since that weekend, he will eat tilapia every now and then. As long as it doesn't taste too fishy. 

I also am not a huge fan of fish in general. However, over the years, as I have learned the health benefits of fish, I have acquired a taste for it. My personal favorite is salmon. When we were dating, Kyle thought that salmon was the only thing I ate because I ordered it every single time we went out on a date. On a college budget, that was the only time I could afford it was when someone else paid for it. (Just to be clear, I went on dates to spend time with you honey. Not just eat salmon.) 

[Side note: My favorite way to prepare salmon is with greek seasoning coated pretty heavily on top. Stop it. I'm drooling. Excuse me while I go get a towel to wipe off my laptop.] 

But, Kyle won't eat salmon. So we compromise on tilapia.  

[One more side note: I would have preferred to use greek yogurt on this tilapia instead of mayo. But I didn't have any in my fridge. So I was forced to use mayo. I wasn't properly prepared to cook this. Sorry.)


Pretty basic pantry staples are needed to make this parmesan tilapia. I didn't plan ahead to make this, so clearly, if I have all this is my kitchen on a moment's notice, most people probably do as well. If you don't, don't freak out. Just hop in the car and drive to the grocery store. 

You need: bread crumbs (we had Italian style on hand), parmesan cheese, mayo (or greek yogurt), Italian seasoning, and tilapia. Ignore the olive oil. I was gonna use it, but changed my mind. 


This is my basic set up when coating something: meat -> wet ingredients -> dry ingredients -> pan


So put the bread crumbs, parmesan, and spices in a container and mix it together. I just used my hand. Ain't no need to get fancy. 

These were frozen. We thawed them for a few minutes in warm water like the package instructions said. 

[sorry for the blurry picture. I was starving and couldn't hold still for Kyle to snap the pic.]
So I put maybe a tablespoon or less of mayo on each fillet and just kinda spread it out mainly on the top. I swiped a little of what was left on my knife on the bottom too just for good measure. Just don't go crazy with the mayo. [It has lots of fat.]


Flipped them around in the dry ingredients on both sides, pressing the mixture onto the fillet. 


We had a good bit of dry mix left so we just sprinkled that over the tops of the fillets for added crunchiness.  

Then we baked it for about 20-25 minutes at 400. For most other people, this would probably be 425 for about 30 minutes, but our oven is possessed (it gets super hot and burns everything), so ours is always less time and temp. 

You're really just looking for that nice golden brown finish on top, the smell of cooked parmesan, and most importantly, the fish to be flaky

That's it. We served it with a steamed sweet potato and some Awesome Broccoli
Super easy. So delicious. 

Kyle said after one bite, "The only problem with this fish is that I don't have more of it to eat." [Said the man who doesn't "like" fish.] 

That was the sound of success. 

Check out the Parmesan Tilapia recipe HERE

Ok so check this out this week! Let me know what you think!

Merry Christmas my friends!

Much love, 
KG, RD

Parmesan Tilapia

by Kelli Gilbert
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 2)
  • Italian style breadcrumbs
  • Parmesan cheese, grated
  • 2 TBSP Mayo (or plain greek yogurt)
  • Italian seasoning
  • 2 Tilapia fillets
Instructions
So put the bread crumbs, parmesan, and spices in a container and mix it together. I just used my hand. Make sure your fillets are thawed.
So put maybe a tablespoon or less of mayo on each fillet and just kinda spread it out mainly on the top. (I swiped a little of what was left on my knife on the bottom too just for good measure.)
Flip them around in the dry ingredients on both sides, pressing the mixture onto the fillet. We had a good bit of dry mix left so we just sprinkled that over the tops of the fillets for added crunchiness.
Bake it at 425 for about 25-30 minutes. Make sure it's golden brown and flaky.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment