Sunday, December 8, 2013

Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup

{This post is prior to my gluten-free days. Please use caution when following this recipe if you must eat gluten-free. Always check individual ingredients to ensure they're gluten-free before consuming.}


This soup cooks completely in the crockpot. So clearly it's fantastic.

I found this Chicken Enchilada Soup on this website here. But of course, I had to adapt it so I could actually eat it. I only made a few adjustments.


Instead of enchilada sauce, we used a jar of salsa that we received as a wedding present and then another jar of salsa from Fresh Market. So basically, there's a jar of salsa verde at Fresh Market that is delicious. If we were to When we make this soup again, we will just dump that whole jar in there. Does that make sense? Just check the recipe if it doesn't. Moving on...

I was a little iffy about just cooking it for 5 hours, so I was planning on cooking it for 7 hours. We ran a 5K on Monday night {go us!} and this was going to be waiting at home for us when we returned victorious. But honestly, the chicken was cooked almost completely through when I took it out at 4.5 hours to shred it. So I shredded it and put it back in. Then at 5.5 hours when we were headed out the door, I turned it down to warm. Long story short, this will be done in 5 hours. How awesome it that?!


When we came home, the delicious smell of enchiladas greeted us at the front door like a ton of bricks. After we had both fixed a bowl and eaten a few bites, Kyle looked at me and said, "I like your White Chicken Chili, but I actually think I like this better." I like them both equally, but this soup sure was delicious!


We served it with cheese and sour cream, but honestly you don't really need either. It was so good by itself. We will definitely be making this again soon.

The recipe is HERE or below! You should try this. I promise you won't be disappointed!

Much Love,
KG, RD

Chicken Enchilada Soup

by Kelli Gilbert
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5-6 hours
Ingredients (6-8 people)
  • 2 large chicken breasts
  • 32 oz enchilada sauce { OR 1 16 oz jar of verde salsa from Fresh Market and 2-3 cups of chicken broth}
  • 2 orange or red bell peppers, chopped
  • 1 sweet onion, chopped
  • 16 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1 TBSP diced jalapeƱos
  • 1/2 tbsp cumin
Instructions
1. Place chicken, enchilada sauce (or salsa), veggies, beans and seasonings into your crockpot. Be sure liquid is covering your chicken. If chicken is revealed, add more sauce. Cook on low for 5 hours.
2. Remove chicken and shred. Return to crockpot and stir back into soup. Serve topped with Greek yogurt (or sour cream), cilantro, green onions and shredded cheese. [Leftovers may be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to one week.]
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment