Sunday, November 17, 2013

Loaded Potato Soup

{This post is prior to my gluten-free days. Please use caution when following this recipe if you must eat gluten-free. Always check individual ingredients to ensure they're gluten-free before consuming.}

This soup. I enjoyed every single bite I took of it. And I didn't feel guilty about it.

Why, you ask...

Because it has a veggie in it! Usually when I eat potato soup, I think, "Aw, that was all starch. Man, I shouldn't have ate just that. Why didn't I eat a salad? Oh yea, because I really wanted soup and I'm allergic to everything else that's in soup, except potatoes. Kelli, maybe next time you should eat a salad too."

We (me, myself, and I) have this conversation a lot. I love potatoes. But not all the carbs that go with it. [Sidenote: Potatoes helped me survive college. They are ready in 5 minutes, are single-serve, and delicious. College kid special.]

However, this soup leaves me guilt-free and full. This soup is a keeper.


I found the original recipe here and I just tweaked it just a little.

So, the recipe calls for you to bake the potatoes beforehand. Since I am an expert at cooking potatoes, I knew the options before me. You can cook them in the microwave in about 7 minutes (make sure to flip them half-way through). Or you can cook them in the oven for about an hour at 350 (I also flipped these halfway through). Since I was home, I just popped them in the oven. But rest assured, the microwave would work just fine with these too.

I also steamed my cauliflower in the microwave. 3 minutes and done. 


I also replaced the sour cream with greek yogurt to decrease the fat and increase the protein content. Next time I make it, I will probably increase the amount of greek yogurt to 6 oz instead of just 4 oz (1/2 cup). It needed just a little more creaminess, which is why we topped it with a little sour cream. [If I added more greek yogurt inside, I would leave off the sour cream on top.]

And lastly, I don't have an immersion blender so I just poured the soup in my Ninja (which is awesome for everything) and pulsed it until it was almost completely smooth. I'm not a huge fan of completely pureed foods. I had to eat them too many times in college for Coordinated Program assignments. Not my fondest memories of college....


Oh, one more thing. Kyle and I added creole seasoning to our bowls before we ate it. Granted, I add creole to everything I consume cause I like a little spice in my life. [Well most everything..] But, the soup is kinda bland without a spice or seasoning of some sort. I added a smidgen of garlic powder when I was cooking, but it needed something else. Creole does the trick.


The recipe is below or HERE

So try it out! Let me know if you liked it! I truly do love feedback. 

Much Love, 
KG, RD




Loaded Potato Soup

by Kelli Gilbert
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 5-6)
  • 2 medium to large potatoes, russet or golds (I used 3 smaller potatoes)
  • 1 small head of cauliflower, or a small bag of cauliflower
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
  • Shredded cheese for topping
  • 3 green onion stalks, chopped
  • Bacon bits or pieces for topping
  • Creole seasoning
  • Sour cream for topping
Instructions
With a fork, pierce potatoes and microwave for 5 minutes. Turn over and microwave for another 4 minutes. Or you can bake the potatoes in the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour.
In a large pot add water and steam cauliflower until tender. (Or steam in microwave) Drain cauliflower and add back to pot. Over medium heat add, broth, milk, potatoes, and simmer for a few minutes. (10-15 minutes, not boiling but almost)
Using an immersion blender, food processor, or blender, puree soup until smooth. (I did it until almost smooth). Add greek yogurt, half the green onion, salt and pepper. Simmer for another 10-15.
Ladle soup into a bowl and top with cheese, green onions, sour cream, bacon and Creole seasoning.
Powered by Recipage





No comments:

Post a Comment